Getting Reimbursed From Your FSA

After you sign up for either or both FSAs, an equal amount of money from the contribution you designate will be put into your chosen FSA each pay period.

Submitting Claims to Your Health Care FSA

You will receive a WEX Debit Card, a secure VISA®-branded, pre-paid card, with your annual election amount loaded onto the card. Follow the instructions to sign and activate your card. If you still have a Discovery Benefits debit card for your U of M FSA, and it is not expired yet, continue using it until WEX sends a new one — WEX will honor your old card until it expires.

Use your Debit Card to pay for:

  • Copays on the day of service at a doctor’s office, walk-in clinic, urgent care, emergency room, and other providers that require a copay
  • Prescription medication
  • Eyeglasses or contact lenses

Sometimes you won’t be able to use your card for expenses and services such as deductibles on some medical services and dental services. You can submit those claims by online submission through the mobile app, or via an Out-of-Pocket Reimbursement Request Form (pdf).

If WEX has any questions about your claim, they will contact you by email or U.S. mail.

Submitting Claims to Your Dependent Care FSA

Having your dependent care provider sign the Out-of-Pocket Reimbursement Request Form (pdf) is the preferred method to file for reimbursement.

However, WEX will also accept documentation from the provider if it includes dates of service (that have already passed), description of services, dollar amount charged for services received, and provider name.

If you wish to file a claim online, you may have your provider sign this form and upload it to the claim system OR you may have him/her provide an itemized document for you to upload to the claim system.

If WEX has any questions about your claim, they will contact you by email or U.S. mail.

Deadlines to Incur Expenses and Submit Claims

Watch the dates to avoid losing your money. According to the IRS, if you do not use all of the money for expenses incurred between the date your coverage is effective and the grace period on March 15 of the following year, you lose the unused portion (the "use it or lose it" rule). The deadline to submit claims is March 31 of the following year.