Supervisors are uniquely positioned to implement flexible work arrangements based on their roles in managing the performance, development, and engagement of their team.
Supervisors should base decisions about flexible work by keeping in mind the Work. With Flexibility. guiding principles and by considering:
- The nature of the employee’s work
- University guidance
- Each employee’s perspective and unique circumstances
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion
This new culture of flexible work may bring up feelings of uncertainty and will require some experimentation and refinement in the coming months. Flexible work arrangements work best when processes and decisions are transparent and clearly communicated.
Resources for Managing Flexible Teams
Leadership and Talent Development (LTD) in the Office of Human Resources has developed resources to help supervisors build the skills needed to make decisions about working with flexibility and managing flexible teams.
- Preparing for Flexible Work Arrangements Worksheet. This worksheet will help supervisors evaluate the most important factors to determine flexible work options for their team as well as how to continue to assess the success of each arrangement.
- Flexible Work Arrangement Discussion Guide. Supervisors can use this guide in discussions with their employees about their flexible work decisions, gather input, set expectations, and address challenges and opportunities.
- Quick Guide to Managing Flexible Teams. This quick guide will help supervisors apply best practices for managing flexible teams and drive engagement, productivity, and equity.
- Disability Resource Center (DRC). The Disability Resource Center’s UReturn is the office designated to serve all employees with any disability or health condition requiring accommodations or workstation adjustments.
- COVID Response. Find information about the COVID health and safety protocols for returning to campus.
- Work. With Flexibility. Sample Agreement. Download the sample agreement to formalize a flexible work arrangement with direct reports. While a formal work agreement is not required, some colleges and units may find this document helpful.
- FAQs. This page will be updated regularly as we add new questions and answers related to Work. With Flexibility. guidance.
- See details of how some areas within the University have already developed local Work. With Flexibility. plans based on the system-wide guidance.