Time Away for Faculty, Staff, and Student Workers for COVID-19
University Emergency Paid Leave
What It Is
The University provides emergency paid leave when employees and student workers:
- Are unable to work or work remotely due to COVID-related illness
- Need to quarantine or isolate because of exposure to COVID-19
- Must care for someone who is ill with COVID-19
- Must care for a child whose school or childcare is closed or unavailable or help with the relocation of a college-age child due to COVID-19 (or if a student worker must take time off to relocate)
- Need time off to get a COVID-19 vaccine
- Have an adverse reaction to a COVID-19 vaccine and need time off to recover or who need to care for a family member who has a reaction to a COVID-19 vaccine
Employees: Up to 80 hours (prorated for part-time employees) for eligible employees. In any given week during the emergency, the employee may use up to the number of hours they would normally be scheduled to work.
Student workers: Eligible student workers can take paid emergency leave equal to the number of hours they work on average over a two-week period. So a student who works an average of 15 hours a week would qualify for up to 30 hours of paid leave.
How to Request Leave
Employees: Inform your supervisors and request time off in the My Time tab in MyU. Click on the Request Time Off button. Under "Filter by Type" and "Absence Name," choose "Excused Paid." Under "Reason," choose "Emergency Pandemic."
Students: Inform your supervisor. Either the student worker, their supervisor, or the unit time/absence administrator should enter leave hours equal to the normal schedule on the time sheet.
- Navigate to MyU > My Time > Submit Timesheet.
- Report daily time.
- Using the drop-down menu, update the Time Reporting Code (TRC) to Emergency Pandemic Hourly.
- Click Submit.
Benefits, including the employee health plan, will continue for employees while on Emergency Paid Leave related to COVID-19. UPlan Medical Plan participants using Medica will have COVID-19 tests covered. If you are ill due to COVID-19 for an extended period and have short-term disability insurance, contact UNUM.
If you have questions about COVID-related leaves or eligibility, please contact your unit's HR representative, or email or call the OHR Contact Center at [email protected], 612-624-8647, or 800-756-2363.