Family Resources

Lactation/Breastfeeding Support

The University supports employees who need to pump or express breast milk by providing accommodations including lactation spaces and break time to pump.

Expand all

Lactation Spaces

Finding Space for Pumping

Lactation spaces are available on all University of Minnesota campuses:

All lactation spaces have a locking door. You may also wish to use a door sign (pdf) to ensure privacy.

Questions About Lactation Spaces

Additional questions and concerns about lactation spaces or resources can be directed to the Lactation Advocacy Committee or your HR representative.

Break Time and Other Accommodations

Requesting Break Time to Pump

Resources for Employees

Other Benefits to Support You and Your Family

  • Get support when you’re expecting. Partner with a coach to give babies a healthy start and keep the individual who is expecting feeling well. Pregnancy coaching is available throughout one's pregnancy and after the newborn arrives. To schedule a call, log into the Wellbeing Program portal. On the Programs page, search for the Healthy Pregnancy Coaching tile then click Start Now to schedule your call.
  • Get confidential help coping with life changes. The University offers confidential professional consulting and referral services to all benefits-eligible employees on all campuses. Employee Assistance Program consultants and counselors can help with a range of personal concerns including work, personal relationships, family issues, and coping with stress. If you are eligible for benefits, then you, your spouse, and your children are all eligible for up to eight counseling sessions per year at no cost. Counseling and consulting services are available virtually, by telephone, or in person. To find out more, visit or call 877-295-8939.
  • Learn more about leave options for parents. Leave of Absence specialists are available to answer your questions about parental, medical, personal, or military leave. To connect, email them at or, call OHR’s Leave Administration team at 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 and choose option  No. 2, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. 
  • Help in planning a parental leave is available for Labor Represented and Civil Service staff as well as Faculty and P&A staff. Additional information on Family and Medical Leave is also available.

Childcare Resources

Expand all

Twin Cities On-Campus Childcare

The YMCA Early Childhood Learning Center is conveniently located on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus at 326 16th Avenue SE. Get more information and schedule your tour online.

The Child Development Laboratory School offers a half-day program for 54 children ages 2 through 5 years old. A limited number of fee subsidies are available for low-income families. Contact the center for an application.

The Community Child Care Center in the Commonwealth Terrace Student Family Housing Cooperative near the St. Paul campus, offers flexible scheduling for children ages 16 months to 5 years, from 7:15 a.m. to 6 p.m. Licensed for 35 children, the center offers a sliding fee for students. There is an extensive waiting list. Contact the center for more information.

The Como Early Learning Center, located in the Como Student Community Cooperative, a student family housing complex near the University, offers care for 50 children ages 16 months through 5 years. Applicants are selected from the waiting list. Contact the center for more information.

Paying for Childcare

The University of Minnesota offers a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account for all University employees who are eligible for benefits. Through this program, faculty and staff can set aside a maximum of $5,000 per household, per year in a pre-tax account to pay eligible out-of-pocket dependent daycare expenses.

Eldercare Information

Expand all

Finding Eldercare

Senior LinkAge Line® is the Minnesota Board on Aging's free statewide information and assistance service. Senior Link offers a free, online eldercare resource search. The site also provides a wealth of resources to support caregivers.

Eldercare Locator is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging connecting seniors and their families to a database of nationwide resources for older adults and their families

Paying for Eldercare

The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account offers pre-tax savings for eldercare services. You may be able to take advantage of this program if your elderly parent or relative:

  • is claimed as a tax exemption on your federal income tax return because they are physically or mentally unable to care for themselves.
  • regularly spends at least eight hours per day in your household.