Either a department or an individual employee can request a job reclassification if:
- An employee's duties and responsibilities have changed substantially due to changes in organization, work, staffing requirements, or technology
- The classification assigned to the position may be inappropriate or was initially classified incorrectly
Reclassification requests should be reviewed by the administrative or academic unit’s HR department before it reaches OHR for review. If you're not sure whether to reclassify, you can discuss the options with a compensation consultant by emailing [email protected] or calling the OHR Contact Center at 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363.
Sometimes a reclassification request is motivated by the desire to reward a top performer. Those efforts are more appropriately recognized through merit or in-range adjustments.
The reclassification process depends on the person's employee group:
Reclassification Process for Civil Service and P&A Employees
To apply to reclassify your job, follow these steps:
- Click on this link: Classification Review Request. Be sure to download the form and open it as an Adobe Acrobat document (by clicking on the downward arrow icon as shown below). When the document opens, click on File in the upper left corner, then Save As, and save it to your computer. If you do not follow these steps first, any information you enter on the form will not be saved.
- Employee completes the Classification Review Request (pdf) form, types their name on the form, and forwards it to their supervisor. Do not use electronic signatures.
- Supervisor reviews the form for completeness and accuracy, adds comments or additional information as needed, and approves the request by typing their name on the form.
- Supervisor forwards the Classification Review Request form, employee's previous position description, and a current organizational chart to the department head/dean/designee for review and approval.
- Head/dean/designee forwards documents to the HR director for review and approval.
- Once all approvals have been received, email documents to OHR Compensation at [email protected].
Please note: Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please email the review request form in its original format rather than by printing and scanning. Scanning the document will not allow the full content to be readable. If you have any issues with the form, please email OHR's Compensation and Classification Department at [email protected].
Supervisory Change Request to or from Civil Service/P&A Supervisory Classification
Submit a Supervisory Change Request to either add or remove supervisory responsibilities of one or more University employees:
- Employee completes the Supervisory Change Request form and forwards it to their supervisor.
- Supervisor forwards the form to the department head, the dean or vice president, and their unit human resources representative for required signatures and approvals.
- Submit completed form to: [email protected]. Provide electronic documents only. (Scanning the document will not allow the full content to be readable.)
Do not submit a Supervisory Change Request only to provide a salary adjustment to reward a top performer. For other options, please review merit or in-range adjustments.
Reclassification Process for Labor-Represented Employees and Students
These steps will guide you through the reclassification process:
- Employees in AFSCME Health Care, Teamsters, or these specific AFSCME Technical jobs—4953 Assistant Research Vet Tech, 4955 Research Vet Tech, and 4958 Senior Research Vet Tech—complete the JRQ form. Employees in AFSCME Clerical and Technical positions complete the JEQ questionnaire (pdf) and answer sheet. You can view the current classification point ranges (pdf) for the AFSCME Clerical and Technical units.
- The JEQ/JRQ form is then submitted to the supervisor.
- The supervisor completes the appropriate section(s) of the JEQ/JRQ.
- The supervisor signs and submits the JEQ/JRQ to the department head along with:
- A current and previous job description
- An organizational chart
- The department head then submits the following to the dean or vice president for approval:
- The JEQ/JRQ form
- The current and previous job description
- The organizational chart
- The JEQ/JRQ, current and previous job descriptions, and organizational chart should be emailed to the Compensation Department of the Office of Human Resources at [email protected].
- In Compensation, a compensation analyst will:
- Complete a job evaluation of the position
- Determine the appropriate classification
Once the position has been reviewed and a determination has been made, the reclassification recommendation of the compensation analyst is final and will be implemented unless the decision is appealed by the employee within the required time frame. For specific appeal policies for each employee group, see the reclassification policies listed under "Reclassification Contractual Policies" below.
Reclassification Contractual Policies
Here are specific reclassification policies for the following units:
- AFSCME Health Care (Unit 4)
- AFSCME Clerical & Office (Unit 6)
- AFSCME Technical (Unit 7)
- Teamsters (Unit 3)
Reclassifying Student Positions
Use the following policy, process, and form for reclassifications of student positions: