Frequently Asked Questions: ITIN or SSN

Expand all

Who qualifies for a Social Security number?

Most J-1, J-2, H-1b, O-1, and TN visa holders are eligible to receive a social security number, as long as they are authorized for employment at the University. F-1 visa holders are also eligible for a social security number, but must also show proof of a job offer. See Social Security Requirements for more information.

How does an eligible employee apply for a Social Security number?

The new employee can complete the Social Security Administration application at Payroll Services in the Donhowe Building. The employee will be sent to the Social Security Administration office with the completed application for an in-person interview.

Who needs to apply for an individual taxpayer ID number (ITIN)?

All other visa holders, including B-1/WB visa holders, receiving any type of payment or reimbursement from the University must apply for an ITIN through the local IRS office. See Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) for more information.

Which form is used? To which IRS office is it sent?

Complete Form W-7 (pdf) to apply for an ITIN. To ensure that the University will be notified and report the correct IRS-issued number, line three on the W-7 form (mailing address) should be Payroll Services' address:

319 15th Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55454.

Check the IRS website to find offices in Minnesota.

Can a person apply by mail instead of in-person?

Yes, see the Form W-7 instructions for procedures and address.

Mail the W-7 application, with required documentation to:

Internal Revenue Service
Philadelphia Service Center
P.O. Box 447
Bensalem, PA 19020

The IRS also has more detailed information on their International Taxpayer website.

What type of documentation is required when applying for an ITIN?

The documentation must substantiate the information on the W-7. Some examples of acceptable documents include the following originals or certified copies:

  • Original passport
  • U.S or foreign driver's license
  • State identification card
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued visa document or photo identification card

Who needs to see the ITIN once issued by the IRS?

Payroll Services needs a copy of the ITIN as soon as it has been issued to the visitor.