Relocation Assistance Program

umn mascots

If you are considering relocating to Minnesota to join the University's exceptional faculty and staff, the Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) can provide essential support to ease your transition. You will be part of a world-class public research university in a state ranked No. 2 on the 2021 U.S. News list of Best States.

Whether you are a job candidate or a newly hired faculty or staff member, we encourage you to take advantage of the many resources RAP offers. See the links below for more information, or contact us with any questions at

Expand all


The University offers several resources to help with short-term, rental, or permanent housing. Before finding a place to live, you may want to research Minneapolis and St. Paul neighborhoods.

Short-term, Temporary, and Rental

Purchasing a Home

Buying a house is unique to each person or family, and we recommend researching city neighborhoods (see links above) and suburbs to find what area of the Twin Cities works best for you.

You might be interested in purchasing a home in the University Grove, an architecturally unique neighborhood adjacent to St. Paul buildings on the Twin Cities campus. The 103 University Grove homes are located on land owned by the University of Minnesota. Learn more on the Real Estate Office website.


Depending on the terms of your job offer, as noted in your offer letter, you may receive a moving allowance. If so, you will receive the allowance as a lump sum on your first paycheck. This sum will be reported as income and subject to tax withholding. 

Spouse or Partner Employment Support

Explore Employment at the University of Minnesota

If you’re looking for job opportunities at the University of Minnesota, we can help connect you to departments and administrators within your discipline. The University also has policies that allow departments and units to hire spouses or partners without a search. These policies may help the primary hire to raise the issue of bridge funding and also encourage open dialogue with their respective hiring department about possible options for spouse or partner employment. Search and apply for open positions.

Upper Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium

The University of Minnesota is a member of the Upper Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (UMW HERC). This consortium is made up of more than 50 institutions in the Upper Midwest that work together to support dual-career and diversity hiring.

You can search HERC’s job board that lists open faculty and staff jobs at all of its member institutions.

Support for International Spouses/Partners

Visa or personal issues can sometimes prevent immediate employment in the U.S. Check with the U of M Office of International Student and Scholar Services and Career Development Network to clarify your employment eligibility and to gain guidance for your search.

Childcare, Education, and Eldercare

Visit our Family Resources page for resources on early childhood development and eldercare.

University educators who are experts on Twin Cities' schools can help you get a better sense of educational opportunities in and near Minneapolis and St. Paul. Contact for a referral.