Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

Am I eligible to hold a graduate assistantship?

Graduate students must meet registration requirements for their graduate assistantship:

Student Status Registration Requirement
Graduate students in the process of completing required coursework and thesis credits At least 6 credits per semester
Advanced classification graduate students (graduate students who have completed coursework and required thesis credits but still in process on research or writing requirements) One credit per semester

See the policy criteria for details on when advanced classification applies. 

Where else can I look for graduate assistantships?

Only a small portion of graduate assistantships are posted publicly and open for application. To find more opportunities, you can:

  • Check departmental newsletters, job boards, emails, etc., for internally posted positions.
  • Network within departments and with current and former professors.
  • Check with the Graduate School Fellowship Office for other funding and award options.

Who do I contact if I have questions about student fees on my account?

The Graduate Assistant Office in the OHR can help you with questions regarding whether or not your tuition benefits have been applied to your account correctly. If you have a question on billing or fees after you confirm your tuition benefits, please contact One Stop Student Services. The OHR Graduate Assistant Office does not have access to your billing, only to your tuition benefit allocation.

I have more questions. Who can I contact?

If you have more questions, please email