Work. With Flexibility. FAQs

This page will be updated regularly as we add new questions and answers related to Work. With Flexibility. guidance.

Expand all

Work. With Flexibility. Basics

Q. What is flexible work?

A. These are defined individually but can be combined for any individual work arrangement:

  • Flex Schedule/Flex Time. A flex schedule/flex-time arrangement permits variations in start and departure times, but does not alter the total number of hours or days worked in a work week.
  • Compressed Work Week. A compressed work week is a schedule where the total number of hours worked each week are scheduled in less than five full workdays. The most common compressed schedule is four 10-hour workdays per week.
  • Reduced Work Week (Part-time)/Reduced Work Year. A reduced work week or reduced work year arrangement allows an employee to reduce their time commitment to the University on a permanent or temporary basis (e.g., reduction from 1.0 FTE to .75 FTE or a 12-month to 9-month appointment). Consultation with an Employee Relations representative in OHR is required to determine feasibility, length of time, and impact on pay, benefits, and taxes, as well as if there are other policies that may apply to the request.
  • Remote Work/Flex Space. Remote Work allows an employee to work from home or another off-site location for a specified number of hours or days per week. This could include working from a remote location all of the time, occasionally, or a hybrid arrangement where the employee’s schedule includes a blend of remote work and work at a University location.
  • Job Sharing. Job Sharing refers to a form of regular part-time work in which two people share the responsibilities of one regular full-time position. Job responsibilities, tasks, and hours may be split evenly or unevenly between the two individuals. Consultation with an Employee and Labor Relations representative in OHR is required to assist in determining feasibility, duration of time, and impact on pay and benefits, as well as if there are other policies that may apply to the request.

Q. Can employees work outside of Minnesota?

A. Because we are a land-grant institution that serves the state, the University will continue to—in most cases—expect employees to live in Minnesota. There are some exceptions in which employees may work outside of Minnesota: Refer to the Work. With Flexibility. Operational Guidelines for information about the exception process. 

Supervisors should notify their local human resources team if they learn that a current employee is moving out-of-state or if they are considering hiring someone who lives outside of Minnesota.

Q. What are the tax and benefits implications of working outside of Minnesota?

A: An employee who performs the majority of their work from a location outside of the state of Minnesota will have earnings taxed and reported to the state in which they are working. The employee will need to complete a state-specific W-4 form.

Likewise, the employee may need to change medical plans. The Medica Choice National and the Medica HSA Plan both have statewide and national coverage. The medical plan options web page outlines where an employee can live or work for each plan. There should not be any impacts to an employee’s retirement benefits. 

Q. What resources are available to employees who currently work, or would like to work outside of the United States?

A. Questions about working internationally will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please email


Q. What resources are available to help supervisors make decisions about flexible work arrangements on their teams, and manage teams with different arrangements?

A. Leadership and Talent Development in the Office of Human Resources has developed resources to help supervisors build the skills needed to make decisions about working with flexibility and managing flexible teams.

Supervisors will be able to access these materials at


Q. I disagree with my supervisor’s decision about my flexible work arrangement. What recourse do I have to challenge it?

A. Campuses, colleges, and units should make plans for flexible work arrangements within the bounds of the guidelines and account for employees’ perspectives. Flexible work arrangements work best when processes and decisions are transparent and clearly communicated. However, if you are dissatisfied with the arrangement made for you, your first point of contact to discuss the matter further after your supervisor is your department HR leader.

Remote and Hybrid Work

Q. Will the University pay for internet and phone expenses for remote and hybrid employees?

A. No. The employee is responsible for internet and phone expenses when working remotely.

Q. Will the University pay for furniture and technology for my home office? 

A. With many on-campus, hybrid, and fully remote configurations for work, the University's Remote Work Business Expenses Policy explains what resources are available for employees.

Q. What resources are available to ensure proper ergonomics in an employee’s remote home office?

A. The Department of Environmental Health & Safety (DEHS) can assist with ergonomic guidance, training and assessments.

Use the links below for more information:


Q. What accommodations are available to employees with disabilities or other medical concerns?
A. An employee with medical concerns may request a flexible work arrangement as an accommodation.

If the college or unit has concerns about the potential operational impact of the requested flexible arrangement, then they must provide the employee an opportunity to make a formal request for the arrangement as an accommodation.

Under such circumstances, in order to ensure compliance with our obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Disability Resource Center, or appropriate campus resources, will be responsible for reviewing the request, directing the interactive process, and, in consultation with the unit, determine whether the requested accommodation is reasonable or an undue hardship.

Disability Resource Center, or appropriate campus resources, can help with employees who need to continue working remotely due to an underlying medical condition.

Employees who are concerned about exposure to COVID-19 can consult with DRC/UReturn or their campus resource on appropriate PPE.

Q. Will the University provide flexibility for families with child care needs?

A. While remote or hybrid work is not a substitute for child care, all units should consider options that provide employees with the flexibility to meet intermittent childcare needs such as during illness, snow days, etc.

Civil service and AFSCME-represented employees currently have 16 hours of sick time per incident that can be used for child care because of school closures.

Employees requesting remote or hybrid work arrangements are responsible for ensuring ongoing childcare arrangements to allow for uninterrupted work time and focus.