Weaving equity and inclusion within every aspect of human resources is paramount to the success of every program, service, and employee engagement, and will inherently result in fostering a diverse workforce.
Through this work, we will ensure these three components serve all faculty, staff, students, and the communities in which we serve. The Office of Human Resources will work in collaboration with Centers of Excellence (COEs), equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) professionals systemwide, and the Office for Equity and Diversity (OED) to execute this strategy. All individuals play a critical role in shaping the approach and key tactics.
Office of Human Resources Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Pillars
All initiatives will be executed in a holistic and cross-functional manner with all OHR Centers of Excellence using metrics to evaluate progress and adjust accordingly. In addition, collaborations with unit HR leads and system EDI practitioners will be leveraged for systemwide adoption.
Development and Retention
- Equitable and consistent performance measures
- Consistency in skills proficiencies, inclusive of transferrable skill sets
- Equitable succession planning strategies
- Leveraging quantitative and qualitative data from cross-functional mechanisms
Culturally Competent Leadership
- Unconscious bias training reinforcement at performance and recruiting milestones
- Baseline assessment of cultural competency using the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) assessment
- Development and use of EDI reinforcement tools and resources
- One-on-one and leadership team coaching
Systemic Barrier Mitigation
- Continual assessment of HR policies and practices that may have unintentionally created marginalization
- Increased education on the impact of institutionalized racism
- Equity analysis (compensation, performance management, and employee relations)
- Incorporation of calibration processes
Diverse Talent Pipeline Development
- Cultivation of relationships with diverse organizations for sourcing and pipeline development
- Gap analysis of existing workforce/teams related to diversity and skills proficiency
- Use of Inclusive Search Advocates and diverse panels in the interview process
- Use of market data to confirm talent availability in disaggregated form and by profession
Supporting all Faculty and Staff
The Office of Human Resources supports the University's goal of fostering a welcoming community that values belonging, equity, diversity, and dignity in people and ideas. We work to recruit and retain diverse faculty, staff, and student workers and reduce disparities among underrepresented groups in partnership with the human resources community.
Encourage your team members to seek educational opportunities offered by the Office for Equity and Diversity’s Education Program. Share the list of U of M Faculty/Staff Associations and information on the systemwide Diversity Community of Practice. Support your staff members who need to carve out time to find community in affinity groups and other forms of support offered by our University community.