These guidelines show the kinds of questions that are prohibited and acceptable during a job interview and before a job offer has been made.
To ask about other specific interview questions, contact your unit's HR professional, the central Office of Human Resources, the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, or the Office of the General Counsel.
- (If required) Are you 18 years or older?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- When did you graduate high school?
- Do you plan to retire soon?
- With or without accommodation, are you able to perform the essential functions of this job?
- This position requires you to occasionally lift 25 pounds. Are you able to meet that?
- Do you have a disability or health problem?
- Do you need a work accommodation?
- How many times were you sick last year?
- Do you have a condition that affects your work?
- Have you filed a work comp claim?
None. Spousal offers should be discussed at the time of the offer.
- Are you married?
- Is that/what is your maiden name?
- Would you need a spousal offer?
- If needed for employment history, you may ask about applicant’s military experience in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- What type of discharge did you receive?
- When will you be deployed?
- Any inquiry about non-US military service.
- The hours for this position are X-X. Are you able to work those hours?
- (If required of the role) This position at times requires evening or weekend work. With advanced notice, are you able to accommodate that?
- How many children do you have?
- When are you due?
- Do you have childcare arrangements?
- Who all lives with you?
- Will these work hours get in the way of your kids’ schedules?
- The schedule of the position is X. Are you able to work these hours?
- Do you rent or own your home?
- Where do you live?
- Do you own a car?
- Are you legally eligible to work in the US?
- Do you require sponsorship for a work visa to be eligible for employment in the US?
- What language do you speak at home?
- Your name sounds like it's from [country]?
- How did you learn [foreign language]?
- The schedule of the position is X-x. Are you able to work these hours?
- What church do you attend?
What religious holidays do you observe?
What are you doing for [religious holiday, e. g. Christmas or Passover]?
- Do you wear X because of your faith?
Sex Gender/Gender Identity
- Because pronouns may reveal gender identity, do not ask for them. You may share your pronouns when introducing yourself, but do not solicit this information.
- What gender do identify with?
- What pronouns would you like us to use?
- What is your sexual orientation?
- Do you have a same-sex partner in need of benefits?