These guidelines show the kinds of questions that are prohibited and acceptable during a job interview and before a job offer has been made.
To ask about other specific interview questions, contact your unit's HR professional, the central Office of Human Resources, the Equal Opportunity & Title IX Office, or the Office of the General Counsel.
- (If required) Are you 18 years or older?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- When did you graduate high school?
- Do you plan to retire soon?
- With or without accommodation, are you able to perform the essential functions of this job?
- This position requires you to occasionally lift 25 pounds. Are you able to meet that?
- Do you have a disability or health problem?
- Do you need a work accommodation?
- How many times were you sick last year?
- Do you have a condition that affects your work?
- Have you filed a work comp claim?
None. Spousal offers should be discussed at the time of the offer.
- Are you married?
- Is that/what is your maiden name?
- Would you need a spousal offer?
- If needed for employment history, you may ask about applicant’s military experience in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- What type of discharge did you receive?
- When will you be deployed?
- Any inquiry about non-US military service.
- The hours for this position are X-X. Are you able to work those hours?
- (If required of the role) This position at times requires evening or weekend work. With advanced notice, are you able to accommodate that?
- How many children do you have?
- When are you due?
- Do you have childcare arrangements?
- Who all lives with you?
- Will these work hours get in the way of your kids’ schedules?
- The schedule of the position is X. Are you able to work these hours?
- Do you rent or own your home?
- Where do you live?
- Do you own a car?
- Are you legally eligible to work in the US?
- Do you require sponsorship for a work visa to be eligible for employment in the US?
- What language do you speak at home?
- Your name sounds like it's from [country]?
- How did you learn [foreign language]?
- The schedule of the position is X-x. Are you able to work these hours?
- What church do you attend?
What religious holidays do you observe?
What are you doing for [religious holiday, e. g. Christmas or Passover]?
- Do you wear X because of your faith?
Sex Gender/Gender Identity
- Because pronouns may reveal gender identity, do not ask for them. You may share your pronouns when introducing yourself, but do not solicit this information.
- What gender do identify with?
- What pronouns would you like us to use?
- What is your sexual orientation?
- Do you have a same-sex partner in need of benefits?